Don’t think social media is going to replace email because it won’t.
Email will remain an important tool for your dealership to effectively market in this growing digital world.
The rise in popularity of social media only enhances email. The two together can be powerful. Two excellent articles, Chris Crums, writer for WebPro News, “10 Reasons Social Media isn’t Replacing Email” and VerticalResponse CEO Janine Popick, “10 More Reasons Why Social Media Wont Replace Email.” Chris always has great marketing insights. Janine also provides some insightful resources and practices what she preaches for both email marketing and social media. I recommend them both.
Here are my top 10 reasons why social media won’t replace email:
- Your customers still send handwritten letters and cards.
- Email registration is needed to do almost anything on the web.
- Email quickly notifies you of updates from your social networks.
- Email is universal and social networks are not.
- Social networks aren’t for everyone.
- Email is still improving.
- Even social networks themselves recognize the importance of email.
- More social media use means more email use.
- As far as marketing is concerned, email is prompt and cost efficient.
- Twitter and Facebook are fantastic products and companies; but that’s what they are, companies.
- If you work you’ll always be using email
- You can’t tell who clicked on a link with some social media outlets.
- You are limited to 140 characters in Twitter. Most of us have more to say.
- You almost have to have separate social media accounts for your business and your personal life.
- Email is a great transition point for your customers and prospects to connect with your social platform.
The rise in popularity of social media will only enhances email. It’s not an either or scenario. Let your marketing mind figure out best the two can work together to drive more dealership traffic.
Let me know what your thoughts are on email. Has it worked for you?